Thursday, April 19, 2012

Granola Bars

This recipe is not unique to me. I found it on pinterest from this site: http://www.hammertown.com/2010/02/this-weeks-recipe-homemade-clif-bars/

My husband and I both have jobs that require us to get up super early. With neither of us being early birds we certainly don't want to cook something nutrious at 5am. I found this recipe and had to give it a try.

1 1/2 c. puffed rice cereal (I used Rice Krispy)
1 c. uncooked quick oats
3 tbsp. ground flaxseed
1/4 c. dried cranberries - other fruit can work too
1/4 c. chopped almonds
1/4 c. coconut
1/3 c. honey
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/3 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix rice cereal, oats, flaxseed, cranberries, almonds and coconut in a large bowl.


Bring honey and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan.


Remove honey from stovetop and add peanut butter and vanilla. Mix until smooth.

Add to oat and cereal mixture. You will probably have to use your hands to mix it all together, but be careful the honey will still be very hot.

Press into a greased 8x8 pan and let cool before enjoying.


I doubled this recipe and used a 9x13 pan

1 comment:

  1. oh, this looks really good. Almost like the granola I make, but you add dried fruit, brown sugar, peanut butter, and rice crispy cereal. I'll want to try this and let you know. I think I posted my granola recipe on my blog. I know I use several types of nuts and the rolled oats like you. Variety is always nice though.

    ReplyDelete