Monday, April 16, 2012

Moisturizing Face Wash

So I've made some of my own cleaning products and hygiene products. Most of my recipes come from books, google searches, blogs I follow or pinterest. However, this face wash recipe I've created on my own. Now, I've researched the products going into them to make sure they are beneficial and safe to use on your face. I've been using this recipe for five months and over time have added and changed the recipe. Here is the final product and why I love it.



Ingredients:
1 cup of Baking Soda
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon of Honey
5 tablespoons of cold water
1 teaspoon of citric acid
15 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil

The baking soda is the base of this facewash, but it also works as a cleanser and scrub. The two oils work as a moisturizer. This will not leave your face feeling oily or cause it to break out. However, if you are uncomfortable with this much oil or have very oily skin, you can cut down the oil and just add more water. The honey helps with skin elasticity and might help with wrinkles and anti-aging. The citric acid is a perservative. I've made it without this before, but the acid will just insure that it prevents bacterial growth. The tea tree oil is antibacterial and will help kill bacteria on the skin that causes acne.

First I mix the baking soda and citric acid in bowl. I just mixed in the jar I would be keeping it in. This does make it harder to stir though.


In my homemade double boiler I melted the coconut, olive oil and essential oil. After it was melted I mixed the baking soda mixture, the oil mixture, honey and water together.


There you have it!


You can always add more baking soda or more water to make you wash the consistency you would prefer. Let me know how you like it.

3 comments:

  1. I have been using this recipe for a few months now and I really like it. I use some witch Hazel for toner. What do you do when the baking soda hardens at the bottom? Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually just warm up some coconut oil and mix it in with the baking soda that starts to harden. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Just made some of this. It really leaves my skin feeling soft and fresh. Thank you for sharing your creative recipe!!

    ReplyDelete