Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

When I got married, my mom and sister collected recipes from family and friends and compiled them into a cookbook for me. It was one of the best presents I received and still use frequently.

This recipe was included in the cookbook and is from my Aunt Kathleen. I tripled it and made it for our small group dinner at church. It easily fed about 12 adults with some left over.

As you can see it's in a crock pot. I did not cook it in the crock pot, just used it to keep it warm in transport. The recipe below will feed 4-6 people, I tripled it to feed over 12 people.

Ingredients:
- 1lb. ground beef
- 1/2 c. dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp. minced onion
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 can pineapple tidbits in syrup
- 1/3 c. vinegar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 green pepper chopped

Step 1:
Mix first seven indgredients together. I know, I hate handling raw ground beef too! Yuck!

Step 2:
Form into balls. You can make small balls if you are using this for an appetizer or larger balls for a meal.

Step 3:
Place meatballs on baking sheet and cook at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the balls.

Step 4:
Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in a skillet.

Step 5:
Stir in pineapple with syrup, vinegar and soy sauce. Heat to boiling. Stirring constantly.

Step 6:
Reduce heat. Add meatballs, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Step 7:
Add peppers and simmer for 5 more minutes

Step 8:
Serve over rice and Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment